jQueryHelp

Help with jQuery Mods and Hacks for your Ning Network!

August 15, 2014 - Ning 3 version now available.  $39.95 - Message me!

The Ning 3 version has some additional features that is not in the Ning 2 version - see my comments in this Discussion.

Hi Friends!

Check the Main page here and see how this app works on a Ning 2 site.  Scroll down to the Latest Activity module in the center column.

It's July and Ning says it will be releasing its upgrade to the Activity Feed for Ning 3 sites this month. (it did!)  Well many people love their N2 sites and are interested in keeping them for as long as possible.  There is no longer a fixed one year deadline for N2 sites to upgrade to N3, so if you love your N2 site but need a few things to make it even better, this is the place for you!

In this discussion, we can talk about the FOLA app.  It provides 2 tabs to your Main page activity feed - All Activity and Friends Activity.  All Activity is the same as what you see on your site now.  Friends Activity shows activity items from JUST YOUR FRIENDS.

Check it out here!  Want is?  Its only $29.99.  If it works out of the box on your N2 site, all is well and you're a happy camper.  If you have many mods on your site and there is a problem or conflict, then there may be an extra charge to customize the FOLA for you.

Questions? Ask here!

Best wishes to all, and THANKS to everyone who has already purchased this app!

"TJ"

HOW THE APP WORKS:
This app is on several sites.  It seems to work best on less active sites.  Active sites may have many Activity Items being added to Ning's Latest Activity feed every hour, and if your friends have not been active in the past few hours you may have to hit the MORE button many times before Ning loads, and the app finds, activity from one of your friends.  There's nothing that can be done about that - the app just works on what Ning sends out, and Ning sends the activity of EVERYONE to the Activity feed.  The app filters out (hides) all the activity that is NOT from one of your Friends if you are on the Friends tab.

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

9/6/14 - UPGRADE AVAILABLE FOR TESTING

If you have purchased this app for your Ning 3 site, there is now an upgraded version available for testing.  The upgrade incorporates items 1, 2 and 3 in the list above.  If you want to try the upgrade, please message me.  There will most likely be another upgrade soon, to implement item 4 in the list above.  If the upgrade works for you, there will be a $20 fee to use it. (Upgrade is now Free!)

Notes on using the upgrade:

If you want to set up the app to make the Friends Tab the default, while still showing the Friends and All Tabs, add this line to the script block above the main line of code that calls this app:

var jQH_FOLA3_FriendsTabIsDefault = true;

If you want to set up the app to ONLY show Friends Activity, with no All Tab, add this line to the script block above the main line of code that calls this app:

var jQH_FOLA3_FriendsTabOnly = true;

If you use the upgrade and choose this Friends Only set up, then there will be no tabs and the app will show only Activity from your Friends.  You may want to hide the activity of All Members that Ning shows before the app has a chance to run and hide all the activity by members who are Not your Friends.  You can do that with this CSS:

body.page-home .activityFeed { display: none; }

With the Friends Only set up, there is still a header area where the tabs were, containing the text that would normally show in the Friends Tab.  You can style that header text with something like this:

#FOLA3_FriendsTab {
text-align: center;
font-size:200%;
}

'TJ' is the Owner of jQueryHelp.
Please Visit http://YouTubeStars.com - Thanks!

9/16/14  App News

Hello friends!  I am still working on making the FOLA app work as well as possible for Ning sites of all sizes.  It is working fine on smaller sites.  But on bigger sites with a lot of Activity, it takes a lot of MORE button clicks sometimes to look through all the Activity and find some from your Friends, when in Friends mode.

I have released an upgrade that covers items 1, 2 and 3 listed above.  I am working on item 4:

4. If the app is in Friends mode, showing Friends Only Activity, it will load up to a certain number of MORE clicks worth of older Latest Activity items to try and find at least one Activity Item from a Friend.  This will reduce or eliminate the number of times a person has to click the MORE button to load older Activity items to find something from one of their Friends.

It turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be, to implement this.  But I have something coded up, I just need to find time to test it on my site.  Then if it works well, I will get it out to whoever has bought the FOLA and wants this upgrade.

Here's something I changed my mind about:

I decided NOT to charge an upgrade fee.   There will be no upgrade fee for the addition of items 1, 2 and 3 from the above list, and there will be no upgrade fee for item 4 when I get that released.

Thanks to everyone who bought this app and thanks for everyone who has been helping me test it and to all who have reported helpful feedback to me about what works and what has issues.  It is all very appreciated!

9/24/14 - Upgrade News

I have a new version that accomplishes item 4 on my list above.  I have tested it on my small Ning 3 network.  Now I need to try it and debug it on a busier network.  If you bought this app and want to test this latest version, just edit your line of code and replace 3C with 3D, and also add these new variables to any other variables before the one line of code.

New variables for the new upgrade:

var jQH_FOLA3_DoAutoMoreClick = true;  // Turns ON the auto More click feature.
var jQH_FOLA3_NingMoreItems = 8;  // Must set to how many Activity Items Ning is sending you.
var jQH_FOLA3_AutoMoreClicksMax = 5;  // Maximum number of auto More clicks to do.

Also there are these 2 new messages that you can change if you want:

var jQH_FOLA3_AutoClickingText = 'Checking for Friends Activity, please wait, do not click the More button!';
var jQH_FOLA3_AutoClickingDoneText = 'Check done, you can click the More button again.';

10/1/14 - Upgrade News

Like I said above, I have a new version that accomplishes item 4 on my list above.  I have tested it on my small Ning 3 network.  If you bought this app and want to test this latest version, just edit your line of code and replace 3C with 3D, and also add the new variables in my last comment to any other variables before the one line of code.

Also, if you are using this variable:

var jQH_FOLA3_FriendsTabOnly = true;

then you might want to change the CSS to get rid of the space where the tabs used to be:

#FOLA3_Buttons {
    background-color: #ffffff;
    height: 0;
    margin: 10px 0;
    padding: 10px;
}
Also add some padding under the Message area:
#FOLA3_Message {
    margin-bottom: 12px;
}
This CSS goes in your Custom CSS Global box in Design Studio.  Adjust the numbers if you want.

I want this its just the last thing you said about more buttons, it would be very confusing to a new user and I have a very active site.

Stuff that its mine, how do I pay?

Elshara Silverheart said:

I want this its just the last thing you said about more buttons, it would be very confusing to a new user and I have a very active site.

I need to know how to go back sign up for a N2 site instead of N3 I just want the old chat back. Can anyone help me figure out how to get a chat on N3?

I need to know how to go back sign up for a N2 site instead of N3 I just want the old chat back. Can anyone help me figure out how to get a chat on N3?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Notifications

Temporarily Offline

Friends of Friends

© 2017   Created by TJ @ jQueryHelp.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

EOP
EOP2